LUNAFEST is coming to Austin!

I first heard about LUNAFEST through Reel Grrls, the Seattle based non-profit organization that makes filmmaking tools and skills available to girls. LUNAFEST is a traveling short film festival that is created by and for women. Founded in 2000 by LUNA, the festival was established to raise the profiles of female filmmakers and female-centered issues. Even better LUNAFEST uses the money raised from the festival to support women’s community-based non-profit organizations. For instance at a screening that was held last night in Seattle, the tickets sold for LUNAFEST raised funds for Reel Grrls and the Breast Cancer Fund. LUNA donates all their proceeds from LUNAFEST, and about 15% of each festival screening is donated to the Breast Cancer Fund, while a local non-profit receives the remaining 85%.

You can read more about this year’s selection for the 2010 LUNAFEST here. Apparently Courteney Cox directed one of the short films titled Monday Before Thanksgiving which stars Laura Dern. The cinematography for Roz (and Joshua), directed by Charlene Music, looks beautiful and I’m anxious to see Nadejda Koseva’s film Omelette, in which a mother struggles to feed her family while dealing with inflation. I haven’t found trailers for any of the short films, but LUNAFEST has a promotional video for this year’s festival which I’ve posted below:

There will be two screenings held in Austin, both in May.

On May 13th there’s a screening at 6pm at the Mexican American Cultural Center. The proceeds will benefit the Breast Cancer Fund and NARAL Pro-Choice Texas Foundation.

On May 22nd a screening will be held at 4pm The Picture Box Studio. Proceeds will benefit the Breat Cancer Fund and Reel Women.

Hope to see you there!

Advertisements

~ by actyourage09 on April 21, 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: